Framed within the calm waters of the Shannon Estuary, Scattery Island is an authentic visitor experience on the Wild Atlantic Way.
Once home to the Shannon River pilots, Scattery Island offers a rich visitor experience for both young and old. This award-winning island is now uninhabited, so you can explore its historical sites and experience its peaceful, unspoilt natural beauty.
Visitors will be amazed at the wealth of sites, including five churches, a cathedral, a magnificent round tower, a Napoleonic artillery battery and a lighthouse.
- 20-minute sailing, departing Kilrush Marina through the Lock Gates onto the smooth waters of the Shannon Estuary.
- A guided walking tour with a local tour guide of the early 5th-century monastic sites founded by St. Senan.
- A choice of walking trails featuring panoramic views across County Clare and County Kerry.
- A detailed walking map featuring information on each site and a special kids’ treasure trail map for the little ones.
- Guided Audio Tours that are available in French, German, Italian and Spanish.
- An uninhabited island offering a calm and tranquil environment in an inspiring setting.
Good to Know
Admission: Admission Fees Apply.
Open months: Open May to September.
Visit duration: Visitors can choose from the standard Scattery Island Visit which allows 2.5 hours on the island or the Great Island Experience Tour which allows for 4 hours on the island. Transport time is 20 minutes each way.
Suitability for younger children: Ideally suited.
Cool for kids Aged 6 to 12.
Rainy days: Mostly outdoor.
Dining/refreshments Coffee/snack shop available at the ticket office. There are no shops on Scattery so customers are advised to pack a picnic or snacks.
Picnic facilities: There are a range of picnic tables on the island and grassy areas for visitors to place a picnic blanket.
Gift shop: Magnets and postcards are available in the ticket office at Kilrush Marina.
Toilet facilities: Toilets are available on the island and at Kilrush Marina. Baby changing facilities are also available.
Accessibility: Partially wheelchair accessible, with accessible toilets.
Assistance/guide dogs: Permitted.
Groups: Yes, groups are considered anything over 10 passengers.
Parking: Free on-site parking is available at Kilrush Marina and additional parking is available nearby. Free on-site coach parking.
Details are subject to change. It is always advisable to check the opening dates, times, prices, and other information on their website or directly with the attraction before visiting or booking.