Framed within the calm waters of the Shannon Estuary, Scattery Island is an authentic visitor experience on the Wild Atlantic Way.
Once home to the Shannon River pilots, Scattery Island offers a rich visitor experience for both young and old. This award-winning island is now uninhabited, so you can explore its historical sites and experience its peaceful, unspoilt natural beauty.
Visitors will be amazed at the wealth of sites, including five churches, a cathedral, a magnificent round tower, a Napoleonic artillery battery and a lighthouse.
- 20-minute sailing, departing Kilrush Marina through the Lock Gates onto the smooth waters of the Shannon Estuary.
- A guided walking tour with a local tour guide of the early 5th-century monastic sites founded by St. Senan.
- A choice of walking trails featuring panoramic views across County Clare and County Kerry.
- A detailed walking map featuring information on each site and a special kids’ treasure trail map for the little ones.
- Guided Audio Tours that are available in French, German, Italian and Spanish.
- An uninhabited island offering a calm and tranquil environment in an inspiring setting.