Fly Shannon Airport, County Clare
We recommend it. It’s friendly, welcoming, uncrowded, and a real time saver. Fly Shannon, and you arrive into the best of Ireland.
If you have the option of where to fly into Ireland, we recommend Shannon Airport. There are direct flights to Shannon from the USA, Europe and the UK.
Here are just a few reasons to consider flying Shannon.
- Arrive at Shannon Airport, and you land right into County Clare – which is at the heart of the Wild Atlantic Way and includes some of its signature highlights, including the unmissable Cliffs of Moher and Loop Head Peninsula. Plus, it’s your gateway to all the attractions featured on this website. The medieval town of Ennis (the county capital) is just 15 miles from Shannon Airport.
- Shannon Airport is really easy to get through – you can be on the road rapidly after touching down. It’s also the best place to pick up a car and get used to driving on the left-hand side of the road – rather than arriving in a busy city for your first drive. Most of the large car rental companies operate at Shannon, and their cars are parked just outside the arrivals terminal.
- Shannon offers USA-bound passengers full U.S. customs and immigration Border Control pre-clearance so that you do not have to clear customs at your entry airport in the USA. A real time saver!
- Shannon is a friendly, welcoming airport and will give you your first and last taste of Ireland during your trip. There are several restaurants and bars at Shannon where you can relax before your flight. And, there’s free WiFi throughout the terminal.
- If you like real calm at an airport, you can book into their air-conditioned executive lounge – with complimentary coffee, snacks and newspapers.
- There is great shopping at Shannon. Shannon is home to the world’s first duty-free shop (invented at Shannon), which was established in 1947. It offers a wide selection of products from the latest fragrances, designer accessories, gifts and souvenirs, all at prices well below the high street. Don’t miss the Shannon Irish Design Store. There you’ll find everything from up-and-coming artists to centuries-old craft companies. It’s excellent for gift shopping or to pick up something special for yourself.
Dublin is just 2hrs and 30 minutes by motorway from Ennis, Clare’s Capital Town. If you intend to visit Dublin, we recommend you stay awhile and experience County Clare first. Visitors tell us it is amazing!
The Shannon Airport website is at www.shannonairport.ie
It provides you with all the information you should need, including airlines flying into Shannon, facilities at the airport, and car hire companies located there. It also includes links to allow you to book various services.